Friday, September 24, 2010

Ding Dong the pig is dead…

 

(I’ve tried to post this a bunch of times and I’ve changed it because things have become irrelevant. I got a bit lazy, but I’ll try and be better for who ever is out there reading this)

Monday morning, Becky was on the phone with this guy who was going to come and deal with the pig and take it and process it for meat when suddenly pow pow pow pow pow pow. The crazy neighbor, whose name is Iam (like I am- I’ll tell you the story later) had shot it in her garden. But she didn’t just shoot it, she unloaded a whole round from a pistol into it’s head. Oy. But the reign of the pig has finally ended and it has made a marked difference in the calmness level on the farm, especially in the mornings. Becky was so excited she went out and got a cake!

The other day, we went to visit the family of pigs that were left behind and I collected a bunch of fruit from the ground and all over to give to them. I gave them star fruit, coconuts, lilikois (passion fruit), mangoes, and noni fruit. They were so hungry… but hopefully, the guy who came and took the dead thing and is making it into sausage for us, has a pig farm and might take them so that they can be cared for better. Today, I was the only one around when the kid finally came and he asked me if I had seen a big pig running around. I was like uh… But I told him and he was not very happy about it. Ruh row. Here are the cute babies…

0920001109 0920001109a 

The other day I saw this incredible rainbow as we were driving back from the ponds. It went from the ground to ground and it had all the colors. There was even a shadow rainbow too. Very cool. This is right at the driveway into the farm from the lava viewing access road.

0921001659a0921001659  0921001659b

Oh my gosh, this post has taken me entirely to long to put up. I am really going to try and do better. This weekend I’m going on an adventure in Hilo with a new friend. We’re going to a radio station concert on Saturday night and then a hula festival on Sunday morning to celebrate Liliuokalani's birthday in that park that Michael and I ate lunch in a few weeks ago. I will definitely post pictures and next week I will be more diligent.

Lastly, a few more highlights from this week:

~I saw an eel in the hot ponds! and it was opening and closing its mouth. I swiftly swam away.

~ Still no guns, but we’re working on it…

~I tried Rambutans- a wonderful interesting looking fruit that is related to lychee. Very delicious.

~In the greenhouse, I’ve been tending to the keikis and they are growing up fast! They look great and pruning/weeding is pretty fun and the repetition and individual care to each plant is sort of therapeutic. Becky and I also made some mulch/fertilizer/soil that we use for just about everything from a lot of horse shit, microbacteria, cinder, etc including a lot of natural additives that will promote quick decomposition  and a healthy biological environment. Way cool.

~The tomatoes that we grow here are seriously some of the most gorgeous delicious tomatoes I’ve ever encountered. They’re incredible. Here, be envious…

0920000808

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the Double Rainbow video video on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0D4oZwCsA your picture made me think of it.

    ReplyDelete