Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Book Learnin

So I came to fully understand the realization that school is starting again and I am not going back for the first time in 16 years. It is sort of weird especially to think about Bryn Mawr starting and the cycle continuing and not taking organized classes. But I decided today that that was no reason for me not to continue learning. So, I’ve decided to begin 3 self guided courses based on reading, field experience, and a bit of lecturing from whoever will give me tips.

The courses are going to be:

Intro to Hawaiian Geology/ Basic Volcanology

Hawaii 101 including basic Hawaiian vocabulary, geography, hawaiian folklore and culture, and basic cuisine

Essentials of Natural Farming which will mostly be a hands on learning experience, but I want to soak up as much knowledge as possible about how to naturally farm tomatoes.

I am thinking of even trying to write a little syllabus sort of thing for each one too. And it’s perfect, Michael gave me most of the textbooks that I’ll be using including a Roadside geologic guide to hawaii, a hawaiian mythology book, a hawaiian dictionary, a hawaiian plant guide and there is a book on the kitchen table that I’ve already started reading about the destruction of Kalapana in the late 80s-early 90s. I didn’t realize it totally, but when I was younger and hearing about the town that Kilauea took out that it was this town that I’m now living in. Crazy. I will make sure to report on some of the more interesting things that I learn.

I’m feeling good about this and I know that just because I’m not in school at the moment, that my passion for learning doesn’t have to stop.

I had a great afternoon at the hot ponds. I wish that I had an underwater camera- I’ve been bringing my snorkel and it’s so fun to swim around and look at all the fish. The water in the ponds is so pleasant. It’s warm but not hot and it just feels amazing all the time.

And hanging out with Michael is a laugh riot. He’s an old hippy who really likes hallucinogens and he has great stories from the 60s and 70s. Like the one that he told me about today where he ended up in the Sante Fe county jail while tripping on a lot of purple acid and he was so grateful to the people who were feeding him and giving him tobacco. Haha- he’s so funny and he has such a gentle laugh.

it’s 8:20, but it’s about time to go to bed. Sleeping in the jungalow is very pleasant and it’s nice to sort of be outside while I sleep, and for that matter, just about always.

3 comments:

  1. Don't know what kind of town is nearby or how often you get mail, but they make disposable underwater cameras. If you can't find one near you, maybe you can get someone to find and send you one/some from the contiguous states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always keep learning. I try (and sometimes without trying) to learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete