Thursday, August 26, 2010

Nani O Pele

So I made it the rest of the way just fine and the traveling couldn't have gone more swimmingly.
When we were touching down in Honolulu though, I had this sudden thought that I hadn't had before : "I must be fucking crazy to move to this island in the middle of the Pacific away from anything familiar"
Becky, the lady I'm working for picked me up at the airport and I could tell that we were going to get along and any hesitant thoughts subsided almost instantaneously when I arrived at the farm in the town of Kalapana.
The main house is a literally a treehouse and there is a deck on top that you can see the plume of steam coming from where the Pu' u' O' o lava tube is spewing lava into the ocean. The tree house has the kitchen and bathroom including an outdoor shower.
I'm staying in a little screened in cabin off of the main house which is spacious enough for one and keeping with the theme, there is a small tree in the middle of it.
Also, jet lag hasn't been bad at all since I'm having to go to bed and wake up here about 6 hours before I have been. So, I went to bed last night at 9pm and woke up this morning at 7am and started working at 7:30am. I'm expected to work Monday-Friday 7:30am-11:30am and then I have the afternoons and weekends off. I'm pretty excited for this schedule.
This afternoon, I'm going to settle in and unpack and I will get to putting lots of pictures up soon.
For now, here is a video that I made before I went to bed last night:


Okay, here's one of my cabin too:

3 comments:

  1. :) blog officially bookmarked.

    thank you for the video- so glad to hear your sleepytime voice.

    i miss you.

    -weedle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your trip went well! YOUR HOUSE SOUNDS AWESOME. I AM SO JEALOUS. Ashley and I are going to try and visit you in January.
    Things I would like: 1. A video tour of the treehouse/farm
    2. Mango hand dried on a clothesline
    3. Pictures of lava
    That is all. Miss you friend.
    PS: Great title. I'm glad you decided to include 'flying to the future.'

    ReplyDelete