Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Chilling in the Jungalo

I started calling my little hut the Jungalo, you know because it’s kind of like a bungalow in the Jungle.

The water situation is still pretty scary and we’ve even been going through the house water supply pretty fast. It’s crazy, it seems to just not be raining here. Yesterday, it rained really hard up the hill and we could see the threatening clouds overhead but the water just wouldn’t fall. I’m going to have to get into the Hawaiian spirit more and do a rain dance or something…

This morning, I planted companion grass in the tomato troughs in the greenhouse in order to help re deliver nutrients to the soil. Also I prepared some planter bags by mixing together horse manure, compost, cinder, etc in these little black bags. I think that the cakies ( Hawaiian for baby) that I planted yesterday are going to eventually go into them and that I might be in charge of a few plants. We’ll see. I really am enjoying this farming work. I get to play with dirt, which is really fun and the 5 hours in the morning go by really fast.

Apparently, no one around here is really a fan of Eric and for good reason. Becky told Erics friend Mike that he could come live on the property in a little jungalo that her daughter used to live in. Except that a chicken has been living there and Becky’s daughter, Abby’s stuff is still in there. Mike sort of rightfully thought that he was going to have a little bit of time to clean it out and fix it up before he was to move in, but yesterday when Michael and I got back from the hot ponds, Mike was here because Eric wanted some alone time and he was pretty pissed about the lack of common decency. Anyway, Becky and Michael are tired of him too for various reasons. It’s interesting to meet a whole new set of people with their own drama and history. I don’t know, it’s sort of interesting to observe but probably not so much to read about.

I’ll post some pics of the greenhouse soon. I think I’m going to take an evening walk to the lava, so that I’ll be able to see it in the dark.

1 comment:

  1. Rain dances work! When I was at Kayam Farm, we did rain dances regularly. Teach your coworkers the Folk Dance for Mayim, mayim. It got its start as a rain dance! Have Fun Dancing!

    ReplyDelete