Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bear Flag

Okay, something exciting happened this morning. Becky was taking a walk around the property with this guy Carl who sells her shit from Bali and stayed over last night (he brought all kinds of dessert and ice cream, which is such a treat). Anyway, she found a dozen pot plants not 20 ft off one of the trails and she was like WTF? and obviously ripped them out. They weren't hers and she could get in some deep shit for that (Green Harvest flies around on the regular) so she's pissed. We think that we know who it was, a guy named Arthur who was working here and lives up there and he's a Rastafarian of the sort of evangelical type, which ultimately got him fired. It's a long story, but still, the audacity of someone to grow on someone else's property.

The ponds have been real cold the last few days. It's been amazingly refreshing and I am totally getting into swimming everyday. I almost don't want to get a job so I can keep this routine... (ugh. I need a job...) Back to the ponds, because even writing about them relaxes me, it's been high tide in the early afternoons when we get there ( I really like knowing the tides and watching them, I check them in the paper everyday) and so the water is really high and pretty cold. The other day, when I jumped in I was the only person in the ponds for like 5 minutes. Oh, the little joys...

As a preventative measure, Becky decided to set up a tent in the greenhouse and make a mannequin wearing an afro. (I'll take a picture of this set up tomorrow...) But, when she was making the get up this morning, we put the wig on Mavis..
Alright, it's almost time for me to go to bed. I've got a little bit of reading to do in a really good book and then it's time to snuggle up in my sleeping bag with my little boo boo (omg, I'm becoming a cat person... I'm not sure if I'm happy about this- no, you're right, I am.) Here he is for scale... 

 Yep, definitely becoming a cat person. Here's one of Darcy eating an avocado. I couldn't get over it so I had to take a picture.
Tomorrow at work I'm going to rig up some irrigation lines with hosing a spaghetti wire (small plastic tubing I cut off a big roll today that will be attached to emitters and spray water at the base of every 2 plants). Then, I think that Becky and I are going to do some grafting. We're going to mix and match root stalks and plant stalks of a few different varieties that we planted a few weeks ago. It's going to be a pretty interesting experiment. I'm also about to watch this video on grafting tomato plants, if you're really really interested and trying to put something off...


Oh, and this is Bear Flag, in case you were wondering. Delicious, plus it's marketing totally worked on me.

 Umm, a different cat just vommitted next me... Cats = -1.

1 comment:

  1. ...a cat person, ay? Quite a surprise, but not all together. I found some sweet potato corn cakes in the freezer that you'd made, and had them with dinner last night. I miss you and love you.

    And I look at your rocks and fossils on the window sill every day. A cool connection.

    ReplyDelete