Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Soft as Chalk

The other day as I was admiring the way the early morning feels when I was collecting horse fodder down the driveway  and I remembered about this blog. I mean, I didn't really forget about it, but I realized that I need to make a concerted effort to thoughtfully reflect upon the extraordinary experiences that I am having here. Not only in order to more eloquently write about the cool things I seem to being getting myself into but also for myself; to consciously think about how happy and content I am to be here right now. Being truly in the moment is actually pretty hard, I think, but I've been practicing a lot lately. That's one reason I've sort of neglected some of this techmology. Anyway, in addition to recounting my experiences, I am going to work on also elucidating the things I'm learning about people, the earth, and energy.

Alas, I'm fairly exhausted, so all of that is going to come in time. I've been helping my friend Zoe to paint the exterior of an extension she put on her garage. She's going to move into it and rent out her house, but the place is jungalow styled and after some fuckery with contractors, she was left with the frame of the house and no money. So, I will also be adding exterior house painting  to my C.V. Except, maybe I shouldn't because somehow I've managed to get an absurd amount of paint on myself all 4 days I've painted. Like, even by my standards it's been rediculous. And although I don't have any pictures of that, on Saturday, Zoe took me on a partial island tour towards the south. Since I've been here, I've really only stayed in my district of Puna, and she was gracious enough to show me some more of this fucking incredible island.

My goal is to get less tired soon so that I can reflect more about this experience, but I'm going to put up a few pictures in the meantime to whet your appetite...

A macadamia nut tree orchard :) Raw ones right from the shell taste like acorns except way better

DSC_6437

The Wood Valley Buddhist Temple

DSC_6462 DSC_6465 DSC_6473

DSC_6497

I call this one “Cinderconeinacloud”

DSC_6509

This is looking north towards Puna where I live

DSC_6558 

Actually, this restaurant had the dankest coconut cream pie ever. Seriously. Ever.

DSC_6560

Techmology is everywhere!!! Driving to South Point are these satellites and a bunch of  very photogenic old windmillsDSC_6573 DSC_6605

And this is one of the most beautiful places on earth. South Point: America’s most southerly point. We were there at sunset and it was breath taking. DSC_6658 DSC_6676

This is an old boat launch. Also a site where lots of people jump off the 35 ft cliffs into the water. I will be doing this shortly, and the fact that I couldn’t do it then (it was cold, close to dark, and no towel…) has been bothering me. I need to jump off of high rocks into water. You can kind of see the ladder along the side that you climb up…

DSC_6695

This is close to the green sand beach, which we unfortunately didn’t get to go to, but this one was pretty cool. It had white sand :) and a lot of plastics and trash from the Pacific Gyre :(

 

DSC_6761

And as if I couldn’t have been more overstimulated, we went to the park, Volcanoes National Park that is, to see the Halema’uma’u crater in the Kilauea caldera. Holy shit, it was so incredible. The amount of lava that must be pooling in there is incredible. Eee- living near active lava is so interesting. People talk about it like the weather.DSC_6808

One final note and then I’ve really been working on this for too long: I applied for a job! as a security guard in the parking lot where the tourists come to see the lava. HA! I hope I get it. I’ll get a badge…

Oh! and I got a haircut:

DSC_6397

No comments:

Post a Comment