Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hannukah oh Hannukah

Happy Hanukkah Friends!
Actually, I haven't really been celebrating, except for last night when I happened across the other jew on the island and she had a menorah made out of a plank of wood :) So, I got to break out a little hebrew for the benefit of the non-jews present. And! I made a dreidel out of clay! And! I made dessert latkes, which also had carrots and raisins and ginger and cinnamon in addition to the potatoes. They were pretty damn good and it felt nice to do something for the holiday.

Perhaps the second night of Hannukkah has been best so far though. I went to an incredible poetry/storytelling performance by this incredible queer poet named Kimberly Dark, who was workshopping a new show idea. It was incredible, she made this "deck" of cards that had art from 6 artists she knows, which all correlated to stories/poems. Her idea is to make completely unique performances for this show, so she had a member of the audience pick 5 of the pictures and she performed the stories on the back. There were 5 categories including, sex, politics, love, power, and "the all". The all was a whole idea that really interested me about the ultimate energy force or something that connects everyone. Kimberly was an incredible performer and she emoted so strongly that I know everyone in the room felt like she was talking to them. Plus, her subject matter totally resonated with me in terms of feminism, gender nonconformity, and her love for this island. It was a great show and it was funny because the main audience was the old dykes who live in this area and I've noticed/been noticed by most of the women who were there before, but it was interesting seeing them in a social setting...

No comments:

Post a Comment