Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lava, How’d you get so cool? Thanks though…

I guess that’s probably wrong, since lava is like 2000 degrees.

I walked out to the lava on Friday to give thanks to Pele since I was in a pretty thankful mood from Thursday's thank-fest. Which, by the way was really a good time. I was able to cook some deliciousness at my friend Zoe’s house before we went to her cool friends house. I made my standard all from scratch apple pie, but I added fresh ginger and lemon as well as a fresh mango and cranberry relish that had honey, garlic and a Hawaiian chile (these tiny super spicy peppers that are almost as hot as habaneras on the scoville scale). The relish was soo good, and the rest of the food was pretty delicious too. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the company was good which made a warm family vibe. However, I did get a bit sad about not being in familiar surroundings with family and old friends on this holiday. It’s kind of weird being away at times like this… But, I am very thankful for the new friends I’m making and the the my new and improved lifestyle :)

Anyway, no pictures from thanksgiving, but I have a bunch from the lava, duh. I still cannot express in words or pictures how incredible of a sight and experience it is to see live active geology. This lava is seriously not staying in one spot, and in fact I heard it took another house/farm near the road yesterday when I was at the ocean entry. That’s just the second one this year, but the ones that are out there are all built atop the 1990 flow that also destroyed lots of homes. Estupido.

Things are changing pretty quickly here and even since the last time I was out there, it looks totally different. For instance, that beach where I took the last set of lava pictures has almost totally eroded and there are only big boulders rolling in the surf. Incredible. Okay, without further delay (if you haven’t already scrolled down): here are some pictures…

1126101815 - Copy 1126101813 1126101804a 1126101757

1 comment:

  1. The lava photos are amazing! Are you taking them with your cell phone?? We gotta get your digital camera fixed. Great pictures... can't wait to see it in person.
    love, love, love...and you were missed at Thanksgiving for sure!

    ReplyDelete