Monday, November 8, 2010

Awake in Breakfastland

So, in these hard economic times, I got meself another job. Actually, on Monday I got a call from the Kalapana Village Cafe, where I turned in a application when I first got here. On Tuesday, I went in for an interview and my first day was yesterday. I am a line cook for the breakfast shift and I am sooo excited to be in a real kitchen again! I am also excited to start making a bit of money, although I’m pretty set since the farm work gives me a place to stay and some food and the cafe will give me food too. The only thing that I’m  bit upset about though is that this will interfere with my everyday swimming regiment. I’m going to have to probably work on the farm some afternoons after the cafe and ugh, I’m about to get a lot more busier. I also have to get up even earlier because I have to be there by 7 and I have to walk or bike the two miles there. It’s a pretty generous shift (until 3) and I’ll probably be working 3 or 4 days a week. And as potentially arrogant as it is, I can tell I’m a better cook then the kid who is training me and I am excited to improve the quality and look of the food.

So that’s been this week along with climbing a tall ladder repeatedly in the greenhouse to hang support strings from. It’s taking me a lot longer then it should and I’ve even been going in in the afternoons after I swim. I’m nervous that with this new job I’m not going to be able to be as active on the farm, which is what I really want to do, but I hope I’ll be able to manage the two jobs. Becky is so flexible and I’m definitely dedicated to  the success of this farm, but I know that it’s going to be a lot more then what I’ve become used to.

I had a really wonderful Halloween weekend with a lot of thanks to my friend Joelle and her mom Paige. I met up with them on Saturday and we hung out at the hot pond as per usual but then Paige took us to a haunted house at one of the local high schools and it was actually pretty scary. I was surprised, but all the kids were into it and screaming and bloody and ah. Then we had dinner at the most popular restaurant in Pahoa, the mexican place- Luquin’s. I had an incredible lilikoi (passionfruit) margarita with a Li Hi Mui (red fruit sugar?) rim. So tropical, so good.

Anyway, then Joelle and I went to a party that I was invited to by these nice ladies I met at the Natural Food Store and it was awesome. There was so much good energy at this party and I had more fun there then any Radnor Halloween. Everyone was dressed up (I was a boyscout :) ) and dancing to really good music spun by cool DJ’s and there was a bonfire and more fire dancing and a lot of people I knew plus a lot more I didn’t and everyone was friendly and no one was invasively dancing with you. It was great. Then I slept at Joelle’s (Paige designed this really cool octagon house in one of the big subdivisions called Nanawale) and Sunday, we three had a really great time. Paige works for the Big Island Invasive Species Committee and she does educational outreach and she was setting up a table at Kalani Oceanside Retreat Center’s Eco-Festival. Joelle and I helped her to set up and we got to hang out in this amazing venue with lots of diverse trees and shelters and things. We managed not to pay even though the event cost $20 and Paige had to pay. It was a really cool atmosphere and totally environmentally concious, which I’m so into. Anyway, I fell in love with a 16 month old baby girl named Senseimi (sp?) and her mom too, Sunday. She is this really cool Hawaiian lady who founded the roller derby team in Hilo :) and has just has the most incredible kid. I stayed for an aerial dance/traditional hula/ modern dance performance, which was really cool. 

Too much ramble, not enough substance. Sorry- with the severe lack of internet, getting these up and going has been hard and I’ve been loosing track and coming back, etc. I’m also about to get a lot more busy, but I’m not too worried about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment